View Single Post
Old 06-05-15, 12:34
MLU Administrator

Thanks Alex & Rick,

Yes, Chevrolet, but which one? Attached goes a picture of the Truck, Carryall, 1/2 Ton, 4x2 Chevrolet, based on the 1941 Chevrolet Suburban. This does not have the seam above the windshield:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevrolet Carryall 0,5 t 1941.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	73285

Combined with your remarks about it being a 1.5 ton truck, it triggered my memory about a picture I had seen before in a book titled Dordrecht 1939-1945 - deel 4. It shows a large woody wagon-bodied vehicle based on a Chevrolet truck chassis on the Town Hall Square in Dordrecht, May 1945:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1945 Dordrecht_woody wagon-bodied staff car on 1.5-ton Chevrolet truck chassis_resized.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	73286

From the book Professional Cars: Ambulances, Hearses and Flower Cars, by Greg Merksamer I learned "Eureka constructed field ambulances and woody wagon-bodied Navy staff cars on the 1.5-ton Chevrolet truck chassis”. Could this be the type of vehicle in question?

If so, riddle solved? Possibly, yes, but what about the OWI? According to the article Preparing for Victory. The U.S. Office of War Information Overseas Branch’s illustrated magazines in the Netherlands and the foundations for the American Century, 1944-1945 they were active in the Netherlands.

Judging from these two photos they were somehow taking part in the liberation of at least two towns. Strange, for a non-combattant unit? Laying the foundation to today's general public perception that "Holland was liberated by the Americans", that's for sure...

Hanno

Edited to add pdf version of report linked above: ejas-9629.pdf

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 03-10-18 at 12:34. Reason: Edited to add pdf version of report linked above: