Thread: Reference: Fake Bearings
View Single Post
Old 03-12-21, 14:46
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I've been informed that JMP does outsource manuafacturing to places such as India. Does anybody know anything about what's going on ?
There are many contract manufacturers in Asia, the buyer can specify which brand name they want to be lasered onto the product, the design of the packaging, etc. You name it and they will do it, the customer is king.

There is nothing illegal about manufacturing bearings (provided one does not break patent laws), the problem is when you use established brand names like SKF, FAG, Timken when you are actually not SKF, FAG or Timken ;-)
I have seen pictures taken in Asian sweat shops where the same bearings were branded and packaged with different names - that is when the authorities raid those places and arrest the perpetrators.

I do know of any reference to Joe's Motor Pools bearings. I understand from club members their sheet metal panels are "made in-house" and are of very good quality and fit.

Personally, for bearings and other drive train components I would try and source from OEM's, rather than a brand from a contract manufacturer / reseller. My two cents worth...