View Single Post
Old 02-07-09, 06:47
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
From my experience, the Iltis was specified by DND as fully compliant with normal highway traffic rules. It won't have crash resistent bumpers or air bags, but the lights, horn, hand brake and glass ought to be fully acceptible. Having driven one around Bosnia, I have no desire to get back into one or spend a dime. It was a poor replacement for the M38A1 and M151.

There are persistent rumors that Bombardier did sell some privately to Canadian businesses as well as to the military. The one story that sticks in my mind is some were sold for use down the nickle mines in Sudbury. Too bad INCO and Falconbridge are now either out of business or run by venture capitalists who look at every part of the entreprise as revenue-positive or revenue-negative. The first category get saved, the second get sold off or dumpstered. I suspect 24 yr old paper records about minor equipment acquisitions is in the latter.
The Iltis did not (and still doesn't) meet HTA regs. Examples are the tailamps, which are not SAE approved and lack the reflex lenses. It also does not have side markers. There will be a host of other things, but these one jump to mind.

Truck lite now makes SAE approved tail lamps for the SMP vehicles. They have multi LEDs in them as opposed to the old single filament light bulbs.