Thread: Wedding Limber
View Single Post
Old 09-09-17, 02:08
carrier mech

Yes, the towed load rating on a M38A1 is only about 2000 lbs, so this does easily surpass that. The total distance traveled was about 2 miles and on base only. All of the museum's vehicles are of artifact status, so there is no movement on public highways, unless they are on a flatbed.

The final destination for the wedding train was the front gate, where it had to turn around. I actually did the run to ensure the train could make a U turn at the destination. When I ran the officer and his driver through the route (Jeep only), he mentioned he could just go out the front gate and make the turn around. I had to stress that he could not.

Vehicle was operated in low range and 1st or second gear only. I think one of the limiting factors for the towed load rating on a Jeep is the light weight of the Jeep itself. Without some form of brake system on the towed load, you would run the risk of the load overpowering the Jeep in a hard braking situation. But between the Jeeps 5:38 to 1 gearing, and the one piece Dana 44 rear axle, the M38A1CDN3 is capable of much more than the 2000 lb load, and safely so with the low speed involved.

I use my own CDN3 to shuttle the M2A2 (C1) howitzer around the yard. At just under 5000 pounds, it is no challenge to the little Jeep. All done at very low speeds mind you. I would be an idiot to take the same combination down the highway.

Last edited by rob love; 22-09-17 at 23:30.