Thread: Heads Up: Sherman for sale
View Single Post
Old 11-05-15, 17:59

Default take backs

I have only heard rumors of "recoveries" of stolen or traded equipment. The only one I had personal knowledge of was an M114 that showed up at base Calgary one day. We had it in our Recce lines for a while, some mechanics played with it but it just kinda hung around. The story provided was that it was illegally removed from a US range during a Militia training weekend by some reservists and did movie work and a cameo in "Short Circuit". I think we traded it to Jack Guthrie for something or other and as his collection was donated back to the Crown upon his death they must have it somewhere.

We had a German Stug on display in Calgary for many years. Its sister to the one in the war museum just minus the holes. It only had a couple of broken torsion bars but was otherwise complete. Supposedly it was on loan from Borden (although I heard it originally came from Shilo) and one day they wanted it back and off it went. Right to Fred Ropkey in the US as the Borden museum traded it for a half track or something. Next thing I know I get a call from a German dress-up-guy from the 21 SS Battalion or something looking for info on the history of "his" tank. Wonder what old Farley Mowat would think of a war trophy he brought home being used by posers for the "bad guys". Funny thing, the Stug was displayed beside the SALH halftrack that Farley used in WWII.