View Single Post
Old 31-08-14, 08:48
MLU Administrator

Have had quite a lot of practice lately, as my F15A is back on the road after many years in storage. I did not have any previous experience driving non-synchromesh gearboxes before driving my CMP. Apart from the theory I have had very little guidance, so it's just a matter of practice.

What I learned till now is that the engine idle settings have to be right, too high and you'll grind when shifting. Also, take your time between shifts. If you try to shift too quickly, you'll grind the gears. Shifting up can be learned quickly, shifting down is more difficult. Here I find that the engine revs need to be much lower than expected. This is all due to being accustomed to synchromesh gearboxes which can shift very quickly of course.

Another point is that I find the pedal setup ideal, with the throttle pedal in the middle and lower than the brake pedal, it is very easy to use your heel to blip the throttle during downshift.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as there are some very good pointers which I will try out. Also I am looking out for the videos Phil has made.

H.