View Single Post
Old 29-05-23, 10:22
Lionel G. Evans

Hello All,

After some discussions with a colleague who was formerly a boiler maker in the mines, I have progressed further along the path for the proposed project.

I had initially thought of having the steel anchor point at a height where it would be easily seen and not tripped over. However, my colleague raised concerns about how something out of the ground can act like a lever and multiplies the stress that could be placed at the point the steel leaves the ground.

So bearing this in mind I reverted to my trade as a landscaper which included installing in-ground irrigation systems. I remembered things like the in-ground valve box similar to the one shown in the photograph. Since a bobcat is going to be digging the hole it can go a bit deeper and have the anchor point coupling below the valve box's lid. The lid can be flush mounted to the ground level , resulting in no trip hazards, where the mower and other vehicles can be driven over it. All tucked away - all safe and sound.

Since the 4WD parts retailer has their 12000 pound winch on sale - reduced by $200, I bought one. I looked at some reviews posted by different forums - independent of the company. I also checked on Facebook Marketplace for their range of second-hand winches. Some were dearer second-hand than the 4WD place's new winch. However, the second-hand ones would not come with a warranty. Other second-hand winches needed repairs and new replacement parts. Or they did not have the same capacity.

I will be making a unit where the winch fits on a trailer receiver that can be slotted into the towbar at the back of a vehicle. Also, with the aid of a 1300 mm x 50 mm x 50 mm square hollow section with a 5 mm wall thickness I will be converting my old Jeep Commander tow bar so it can bolt into the front of the currently front-bumper-bar-less Defender; while having brackets mounted for my range of other vehicles - including the current bumper-bar-less Chevrolet. I took the bumper off to have more room to move at the front of the shed.

Just have to go to the local scrap yard for the steel anchor point and arrange for the bobcat bloke to bring his toys with him. Also, a mini-mix concrete truck. Plus, a trip to the hardware store for two valve boxes. Then everything should come together!

Lionel wants to winch the Defender into the shed. Hook up winch unit. Sit in Snowy's cab ... press a button and steer. At the end of the day after working on Snowy or whatever project vehicle. Swap the winch unit to the back and press a button and steer the vehicle until it is parked for the night. Then the daily driver can resume residence in the shed.

Thank you every one for your contributions. I will keep you updated!

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
Valve Box.jpg  
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 29-05-23 at 10:28.