Thread: Shootings
View Single Post
Old 01-07-14, 00:37
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I cannot but totally disagree with the "decidedly left" and "always" arguments.
As mentioned, when the Libs are in power the CBC is roundly accused of being 'right" and and when Conservatives in power..accused of being left.
Has always been thus, this is not recent.

They do NOT sway elections, anymore than CTV. What about that Globe and Mail photo of Stanfield that singlehandedly cost the PCs the election.. a well-known fact.. is the Globe anti-Conservative?

I seem also to recall the CBC accused of being anti- Ignatieff for its coverage of Liberal leader Iggy's gaffes-

What about CTV's obviously anti-Dion interview...where are the accusations there?

When it comes to elections, the CBC is under a very stringent microscope to ensure it gives almost exactly proportional coverage (in airtime minutes- and web word count coverage) to the major political parties--

The CBC does NOT do its own polls, it -like other institutions- hires outside well-respected pollsters....

Polls are a guess at best..Ive been around long enough to see polls and final result radically differ. IF the polls are wrong, it is NOT the CBC fault.

CTV GLOBAL CBC are using the same polling firms which are limited in number in Canada, and poll results can differ quite a bit from week to week.

One must also pay close attention to who is being polled, what is asked, size of the polling group, and where.
CBC might hire Ipsos to poll federal voter intention among 18-35. and CTV might ask IPSOs to do the same thing but 35=60 yr old..results could differ greatly but if youre not paying attention you'll wonder whats going on.

One may ask voters in Ontario, and another cross country- again results may differ greatly... one might have polled 900 people across canada, another 3,000, same question, same group but different results as a result of polling sample.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...olitical-Polls
Eg- the last Qc election was called coz the seppie polls said the PQ would get a majority.. ooops !!!

You simply cannot accuse the CBC of biased polls.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...olitical-Polls

I must also strongly disagree that the CBC is treating Trudeau like a messiah.. rather, nothing more than the party leader..

How can you judge if you dont watch? or listen to the network??.. If your source of info is Sun, well that's a problem..as the sole purpose is to stir up dissent between English Canadians and Qc (benefits seppie movement) and also attack the CBC (eliminate competition and a federal institution which PKP feels is enethma to A) his business, and B) an independent Qc

As for your entertainment, well, I highly appreciate CBC political show like the House, and many others like Ideas, Tapestry, Land and Sea, Doc Zone, Marketplace (now a budget cut victim)- 22 minutes, and lots of people love Rick Mercer, Sunday Morning, Nature of Things. news reports- which unlike the privates- greatly limits use of American reporters. The Debators- (cdn comedy- often fabulous)

Also the CBC promotes Canadian artists and performers to far far greater extent than privates who prefer the cheaper-thus more profitable route- of syndicated US shows

Do i love every CBC show, not at all, but surprisingly some that I hate - This is That- Q, Strombo (gone-budget) are strongly defended by others... matter of taste.
but really for 55 cents a week, Im getting darn good value for my money..at a cost far far less than other public broadcasters, none of whom face anywhere near the challenges the CBC faces in terms of its mandate, obligations, affirmative action. competition etc etc