View Single Post
Old 13-11-19, 00:46
Terry Warner

Default Snow shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Snow shoes and bindings are a "sometimes on Princess Auto" sale item to keep an eye open for.
Classic trail snowshoes made of magnesium and coated aircraft cable. These things will survive the apocalypse along with the cockroaches.

https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadia...es-w-bindings/

The second style of snowshoes are a tragedy only the Canadian procurement system could achieve. They are too small for the surface area required. I forget whether they are lighter or heavier, but they are shorter. Every QM guy I've asked say they break across the foot arch. Step wrong on a hidden log or bridge in a ditch, and they snap. The soldier is left with a birdsnest of coat hangers hanging off his feet. Will post more pictures and the NSN on the packing label when I find the pic.

The candle holder is a more complex one than I remember. Memory says there was a spring clamp that pinched onto the tent pole like a bicycle pants clip. Still flame orange, but different.

And, let's actually praise the system for buying those cylindrical Thermos brand stainless steel insulated bottles. Don't lose the stopper, but the best I've ever found for keeping tea or coffee warm.
Attached Thumbnails
US_snow_raquets.jpg   oval snowshoes.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 13-11-19 at 00:58. Reason: adding pictures