View Single Post
Old 31-10-21, 15:35

Morning James.

Yes, I can pick up the sidetone of my voice in the receivers when transmitting via the A-Set and/or IC Mode on my Mk III.

I must admit I have been away from it for a few years and my ears need some serious retraining in the art of working a classic set like the 19 or 52, but I can hear myself. Wasn’t at all certain initially, but did find it.

Make certain you don’t treat the 19-Sets Microphones like modern ones. The rubber mouthpiece has to be in full contact with your face and surrounding your mouth, and then talk normally. Try blowing into the Mic, softly at first and slowly increase the air volume while holding the Pressel Button down. Your ear should pick up the sound of the air passing across the screen face of the Insert. Once your ear is ‘tuned in ‘ you should then be able to find your voice.

It can be a bit of a challenge listening passed the Dynamotor when you transmit, but it is doable. Tens of thousands of servicemen did it for many years with their lives on the line.

My 19-Set is currently on the Wireless Bench right beside a doorway with a barn door, so I stepped into the other room initially for a quieter background. When I was satisfied I was hearing what I needed to, I walked back around to the set and my ears could still monitor my voice.

A friend and I are going to try a cross town net with our 19-Sets on the 11th, so I will need some more practice. What I really like, however, is the fact that after nearly 80 years since these sets had their time in the Sunlight, I can still turn one on and work it, with all its strengths and weaknesses, and it is behaving exactly like it did for all our Service Men and Women so long ago. Gives me chills.

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 31-10-21 at 17:47.