Thread: How To: 1944 Chev HUW restoration
View Single Post
Old 28-05-23, 23:52

I think you are on the right track, Bruce, if you start at the top of the interior with the gloss white and work your way down to the floor. If you can, consider doing the roof hatch assembly as a separate item with the required exterior colour and gloss white and mate it to the vehicle at the appropriate time. Once the interior white is finished, detail in the exterior colour around the relevant openings and leave the floor until last. Again, if possible, give the white a couple of weeks to dry cure before starting the floor paint work. Makes cleaning up an 'Ooops' so much easier.

I am not a fan of masking/painters tape available to us plebes at the local DIY stores. There is a yellow one, about 2 inches wide that autobody paint shops use that is a lot better but still not perfect. Years ago, I stumbled across a painting aid at a store somewhere here in town called a "15-inch Painting Trim Guide". It was made by a company called DYNAMIC and looks like a strip of heavy-duty aluminum Venetian blind with a flat handle in the middle of one side. Over the years it has removed about 80% of my need for masking tape, inside and out.

I just did a quick internet check and it looks like this product and a very similar one made by BENNETT should still be available at Home Depot, RONA and Lowes and are running less than $5.00 or so. You might want to test one out.

One last thing. Have you thought of using a roller for the floor work? A 3-inch would allow you to cut in around the edges with a couple of light coats and then follow up with the standard 9-inch Roller for the main floor area. I have found the roller gives a much closer look to a sprayed paint job than I can ever get with a brush, and I use fine nap rollers. Never bother cleaning them. I just keep enough on hand to see the job through and throw them away after each painting stage.

On that note, Bruce, it is time I ventured out into the 32 degree Back garden and decide if it is worth working the BBQ for dinner tonight, or ordering in from the nearest Bar and Grill.

David