View Single Post
Old 15-03-06, 16:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canso

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Did you ever get to ride in a North Star?
I flew as a kid on a North Star to NFLD in '53..All I remember is the noise and the flame from the exhaust..I flew a search and rescue mission in December of '63 on An Exploder when that DC-8 went down North of Montreal with all hands on board...
The engines were recovered down 60' in frozen ground..She went straight in...

The Trans-Canada Airlines DC8, bound for Toronto, crashed into a field, 20 miles from Montreal's international airport at 0632 local time (2300 GMT). the DC-8 jet crashed in the foothills of the Laurentians near Ste. Thérèse.

I flew in The Herc' too many times to recount..Allways liked them until you do a combat landing in one...
The flight where the lightning hit the nose radom on a mercy mission to Tunisia to help out from the flood of 'winter of '69 was especially memorable...

I flew in a Buffalo from Lahr to Sardinia quite a few times and was never so happy to get on the ground after the time we flew THROUGH a thunder storm over Corsica....Was every way except upside down,and I'm not sure of that.....Those 1000 foot drops were friggin' violent and could never tell if this was the one where the wings tore off or not...

And the DC-3 flights from Sardinia to Naples during the winter of '69-'70,where we were loosing ground ,flying backwards,to headwinds ,heading back to Sardinia...

And the time we allmost.dropped the new VOLVO into the Med out of the Herc,cause the idiot ,filled it full of gas and it started to expand and leak into the aircraft ...(The proceedure was we could fly our cars out IF we drained all gas and oil out of them...)
We were going to drop if but we flew around through France with the rear doors open ,and unpressurized...
That ended our free car trips..

That was hair raising..

And flying the DC-3's into and out of Moosonee was a white knuckle flight on occasion...

Yes ..we could spin some yarns..

Jeez..no wonder I drank...