Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 22-06-16, 22:01
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
On the wavemaker instructions line 7 it mentions an adapter that stores in the lid for using an HT battery . Here's a pic of the lid with the clips to hold it but what does the adapter look like? Also what would the wire and plug in that picture be for? In the last picture what kinds of end would the wire to the LT battery have? And what would the LT battery look like?
The HT battery adapter is a bakelite block - a socket similar to the one on the vibrator supply but with screws to connect the HT battery to. (I have one in my wavemeter but everything is inaccessible due to an imminent house move.)

Other accessories are a crystal calibrator that fits in the space normally occupied by the spare valve tin. I have one somewhere (but no idea where it is - I will probably find it during the move).

The power cable will probably end in either a Niphan connector, or possibly a 2-pin bakelite push-fit plug to mate with the early accumulator sockets. I think the push-fit plugs were polarised (by having different pin diameters) and restricted to the correct battery by the pin spacing. The LT battery for the wavemeter was probably the 6 volt 16 amp-hour unit that had a wooden case, a niphan socket on the front, and a bakelite socket on the side - that was still in service in the 1960s, I think.

There were all kinds of oddball accumulators: I have the wooden box of a 10-volt 16AH unit (tapped to allow 4 or 6 volt supplies) but the socket has been removed as well as the contents & wiring. That was intended for early sets with 4 and 6 volt valve heaters, and also for the Lamp, Daylight Signalling, Long Range that required the full 10 volts. (I have the lamp, which is why I bought the battery box despite its condition.)

Chris.
(Up to my ears in cardboard boxes.)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 22-06-16 at 22:11. Reason: More info to add