View Single Post
Old 25-12-04, 12:55
RIP

Default Professor Dr. Major Heinz Schippel

As mentioned in last post 1Lt Heinrich (Heinz) Schippel arrived in Finland 1918. He was a reserve officer and forrest-master.

After the war Heinz Schippel stayed in Finland as manager of forest industrys. He became a major of the Finnish Army reserve. After some years he returned to Germany to take over the family estate and industry from his father.

Heinz Schippel was now a Finnish citizen and became Consular of Finland in Dresden. His father had during WW 1 served as a Captain.

So here is a story about Mr Schippel senior. The old man was in 1934 sitting in his favourite Bierstube enjoying a cold beer amongst his friends. Three SA-men with uniforms and swasticas arrived:

- Mr Schippel!
- Yes, I am here.
- Mr Schippel! We have noticed that you allways have the flag high on the Kaisers birthday!
- Yes, that I allways do.
- We have also noticed that there is no flag flying on the Fuehrers birthday!
- Fuehrer? The only Fuehrer I know of was a Hundefuehrer (Dog trainer) in my Company during the war. Why should I honour his birthday?
- We do not talk of your Hundefuehrer but our Great Fuehrer - Adolf Hitler!
- Hitler? Adolf Hitler? That name sounds familiar. Have they written about him in the newspaper lately?
- Blödsinniger Mann. Stupid old fool! Heil Hitler!

When the SA-men had left. Mr Schippel offered his friends a beer saying:

- There I took them once more!

Anyhow Heinz Schippel had four children. Himself he was 1st Lt in the German Army and Major in the Finnish Army.

His oldest son became a 1st Lt in the German Wehrmacht during WW 2 (and later a Priest).

His daughter became a nurse and 1st Lt with the British Forces post WW 2.

His next son became Captain in the Finnish Army reserve.

The youngest son became Captain in the Swedish Army reserve (retired this summer).

Heinz Schippel met his second wife in Finland. She was born in Russia as Countess von Vittinghoff-Scheel. After the revolution she became Estonian citizen and after marrying Heinz Finnish citizen. After WW 2 they managed to leave Eastern Germany (DDR) and emigrated to Sweden where they became Swedish citizens.

Heinz had been citizen in three countries (Germany - Finland - Sweden) and his wife four (Russia - Estonia - Finland - Sweden). She died some years ago aged 99.

Four armies in one family - European modern history in a nutshell.

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 25-12-04 at 13:25.