View Single Post
Old 17-11-23, 03:10
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Pioneer version

I have seen a few 'Chorehorse like' generators, that are a variation of the Canadian WW2 military version, these 'different' sets were made by PIONEER Chicago USA. The USA wartime Pioneer version has two outputs, the usual 12V DC and a second 240V AC outlet. I think these USA Pioneer models have a slightly larger engine bore than the Canadian sets. A club member , Bevan F. had one of these USA Pioneer sets and it was used on a few club trips, charging batteries.

Official nomenclature for the Pioneer set: Power unit DC/AC 250 watts No.1 [American] [1A ]

From the Smokstack forum:

I have one that I bought in April 1970. I got it from Hughes Trading North Coburg , Melbourne. I still have the receipt ! Mine is a 12volt D.C. and 240 volt A.C. I was told that they were used on tanks. It had a cast iron base that was the petrol tank. If yours has the same type of petrol tank, it needs to cleaned out well and painted with petrol resisting paint. I had a lot of problems with fine rust stopping it from running. You should start it with a 12 volt battery. Mine needs the 12 volts to energize the winding, if it hasn't been used for some time. When I was using it the crank shaft snapped in half. I was unable to get another one from Hughes Trading. I made up a straight shaft and used the cast base. The cylinder, piston and head were removed. A pulley was fitted on to the shaft and was then driven by another engine. I still have it all but not used it for many years. I think I could still have the cylinder,piston and head.

Spotted on Epay https://www.ebay.com/itm/195622723669

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19604447633...gAAOSw-elcOCUU
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 17-11-23 at 03:35.