View Single Post
Old 12-08-19, 10:43
F60S

Default ID found

I was in error when I said that the vehicle is a Lynx I MkIII. This was based on the erroneous belief that the 6 stud axle made it so. In fact I have now seen the identification plate on the inside of the driver's escape hatch and it says that it is a Lynx I MkIII* with the number 1920. The number is confirmed in two places: both are on the horizontal armour in front of the crew, one on the left corner and one on the right. The left corner one is preceded by 5-43 making it a May 1943 vehicle (the hyphen is a '1' on its side). The one on the right side is followed by what looks like SSS. Confusingly, below this on the sloping front of the vehicle is 1977 in the same script as the rest of the stampings. I have been unable to find any International Harvester markings. Where would be a good place to look?
The process of getting it back on the road started yesterday. We removed the two fuel tanks and emptied them of stale petrol. Doesn't the smell hang around! There are no drain cocks in these tanks. One of them has signs of rust inside and I am considering un-soldering the outlet pipe so that I can soak the tank in molasses (the molasses process attacks brass).
Unlike one of the posts I have seen, the petrol pump is the usual AC mechanical one seen on all of these flathead engines I have examined to date.
Other points I have noted are:
- the engine cover (not hinged) is incredibly heavy, at least for us grey haired ones
- it has the correct single fan belt arrangement
- I cannot yet see how I take the crab top off the distributor to check the points
- the hatch to the rear of the tub has two hinges unlike the one I have seen on this forum, which has three.
I do not have a wiring diagram yet. Was the vehicle fitted with a single 12v battery with some sort of voltage dropping system for the 6v bits, or did it have two 6v batteries?
Alastair
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*