View Single Post
Old 12-03-11, 14:59

Default Rantin' about Paintin' continued

Hi Tony

You are getting right to the heart of the problem of matching color. Olive Drab seems particularly problematic. Years ago I did a lot of research on paint mixes going from the original CMP paint pigment percentage that Peter Ford had come up with. I took the Dupont paint mixing percentages for their colors and matched them to the percentages listed until I found a match.

The Light Stone came out to be a good match to the with the chip in the chart. With that Dupont paint number I've had the paint mixed a number of times over the year and it comes out as a very near match every time. Both of my big CMPs are painted with this mix. I can even touch up paint 5 years later and it matches.

The Olive Drab Shade No. 15, also known as No. 4 Dark Green on the British chart which one of our MLU members posted years ago, has always been problematic, it has never come out the same and I've had it mixed several times. Because of the cost even if it isn't correct or a good match I've end up using it.

So once again I'm trying to find a mix that looks correct and is repeatable, I think that the Mil Spec paint mix number is going to be the best hope of a repeatable paint mix. So I'm going to have pint cans mixed of the closest matches and will use them to paint parts of the vehicle that you will only see if I run over you. Once I find what looks to be a match for the hidden paint I've found I'll go with that.

I found the Peter Ford paint info and have included it below. One of the big problems with getting a match on the OD is that the flattening compound used to get the flat finish, while clear in the can is actually white when dried so it is actually adding to the white pigment levels. The other problem in this is that there is a tint missing #116. So if anybody has what the missing tint is let us know.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Copy for MLU Info #(112).jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com