View Single Post
Old 03-04-11, 03:01

Default 11 Hours to disassemble and reassemble

Hi Bob

There was no known problem so it was a clean and inspect. The lub leaks from the seals was almost non existent. Only place that really leaked was down the spline shafts into the space between the drive shafts yoke and the transfer case yokes at the bolt flange. Think a light smear of gasket cement on reassembly should take care of that. All of the yoke shaft areas are in very good condition with non of the wear I found on the Pattern 12 which I did end up using speed sleeves on. But for this one I think just new seals will do the trick. As to lub probably 90/140 gear lub.

The biggest problem on the Pat 12 transfer case was oil leaking between the layers of the shims. I plan to repaint the outside of the assembled case with Por-15 while its completely clean, taking particular care to paint all the seems probably a couple of coats.

From the time lapse of disassembling it took me 11 hours to take it all apart and put it back together. The Pat 12 C60L need some bearings replaced so it took a lot longer to get the shim sets right. What really kept causing problems on that one was the thickness of the paper gaskets. This time measured the gaskets and made the new ones out of the same thickness paper. Could not get large sheets of actual gasket material so instead I've been using a very high grade printing stock that I got from a print shop in different weights which gives me the different thicknesses.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com