Thread: Fuel tanks
View Single Post
Old 26-06-13, 04:12

Default SS welding....

Hi Phil

Linde gas ( formerly BOC ) now sells a SS wire for gas welding..... a large roll is around $180. and I am not sure what type of welding gas mixture would be required.

All I know from the old stick welder days, if you welded with SS rods and made a mistake, you needed a stone to grind down the SS to make corrections.

Why couldn't we have a regular steel tank with a bladder inside like a race car......? Or a poly gas tank retro fitted inside the tool box.....? Not original but if it keeps then rolling so be it.

Bottom line CMP gas tanks were not intended to last 70+ years and even if we reproduce them faithfully, their life span will be limited no matter what.

I have lined an old Allis Chalmers gas tank about 10 years ago.... and it had pin holes.... she is still serving me well now that I have repaired the engine.
All I used was a POR kit and followed the cleaning process to the letter. Maybe the main difference is that I keep buying Hi-test gasoline from the farm distributor which claims it has no ethanol added..... a few cents more per litre but in limited quantity no a major expense.

I procured a decent early cab 11 CMP fuel tank a few weeks ago with half inch varnish deposit in the bottom..... like a porous bubbly tar like varnish brittle residue..... not sure how to remove it as it covers baffles and will not chip off. I did a test using a pint of Vinyl solvent made of toluene, M.E.K. and acetone..... it desolved big deposit chunks in a beaker in about 30 minutes.....stinks of old gas and probably toxic as H***...... the only problem is I would need about 3 gallons to degum that tank....... any safer solution to recommend...?

Bob C.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 26-06-13 at 04:18.