View Single Post
Old 20-07-16, 11:33
Tony Baker

A few more small pieces have now arrived in the mail, including my job-lot from Canada. See post #136. Seems I owe Australia post an apology. Only three days from interstate airport. That's not bad. The Canadian parts got to me yesterday, and last night I kicked off with cleaning em up a bit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160720_182744-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	83536
The level....thingy came up ok, but should really be green, according to the original state. I will paint it with next spray job. The spirit bubble glass got broken in transit. I don't know if I want to remove one end cap to replace it, so it may have to stay that way.

Name:	20160720_182525-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	83535
The above piece was more work than it looks! Lots of cleaning grunge and rust off, before acid treating the ferrous part (with Gun Blue). Redoing all the writing was finicky and time consuming. Incidentally, the piece with Tangent Elevation was a pleasant surprise. It wasn't in any of the advertised photos, that I recall, so that was a nice little bonus! I still need to acquire the measuring scale that attaches to the two screws along below the brass numbers (and S for Super Charge). One thing usually leads to another, but I'm OK with that. It's part of the fun. If I don't find one, I'll make a bodge from aluminium strip, until one surfaces.

Name:	20160720_183309-resized-1280.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	83537
Not sure which part to clean next, the hand wheel or range scale cone. On the topic of the latter, when I made the purchase I noted the cone had screws on it. My other cone is one solid piece of aluminium. No screws. This new one looks to be same solid piece of aluminium, with another very thin layer of metal (? what type of metal) wrapped over and secured with those screws. Did they ammend the original type by adding an 'update' system over the old one? I'm not curious enough to undo the screws though. Might not get them back on again!

Name:	20160720_183215-resized-1280.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	83538
Took me a little while to realise what this adjusting knob is. It will take much longer to get it back into usable condition. I see a little molasses giving me a hand with that job. At least I can mix it up in a glass jar and watch it work over whatever time it takes to do the task. I'm betting it's a few weeks, actually.

Name:	20160720_183028-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	83539
This turned up today. I had forgotten I even bought it, but did so on a whim. I assume it's a pull through rope for barrel cleaning, right? Won't really need one. My barrel is blocked at breach end (except for a small steel tube & a spark plug ), and will have several rods welded across inner barrel tube at muzzle end, so there's NO WAY any projectile can be ejected. The rope and weight contraption can just go into the little canvas bag on back of lower shield. Saw a wire cleaning brush on ebay a few weeks ago, but missed it. It would have found a home in same bag. Next time!