Thread: LRDG Ford F30
View Single Post
Old 24-04-22, 23:50

Default Update

Hi Bob,
Attached is a photo of a side view of the 3A1 body moved back 12"/300mm with twin spare wheels between cab and body. The tool boxes look really close to the front of the wheels. They started doing this modification in late 1941 on some trucks, then the Chevrolet 1533X2s arrived and the Fords were 'retired'. After severe losses in September 1942 during the big raids on Barce and Tobruk, the LRDG were running out of trucks and started re-issuing Fords to some of the Patrols to allow them to operate. Some Patrols were fielded with only F30's at this time. The Fords by this time were a mess and lots didn't even make it from the base workshops to the LRDG camp without breaking down (this was after they were completely overhauled!), At this time more F30's were modified with the 3A1 body being moved back, but still they were the less common version seen.
My detailed knowledge of CMP's is still developing, so the short answer to the question about the inner engine compartment panel is I have no idea! However I am learning quickly (I hope).

As part of the update, one of the trucks was being sold as a F30, but turns out to be a F60L with 12 cab. That is now going to be completed as a LRDG Heavy section 3 ton truck with cab, hoops and tarp, standard LRDG condenser, sand mats and racks and most likely long sand channels. Might get an external spare wheel mount too. Not aware of any other LRDG Heavy Section trucks, but should be a nice, and overdue, addition to the LRDG range.
Attached Thumbnails
F301.jpg   278572669_7479443158764445_6167005481197693681_n.jpg  
Attached Images