View Single Post
Old 20-05-11, 01:27

Default FBE MkIII wreckage found

Hello MLU members.
I am a diver who has recently discovered some FBE MkIII equipment submerged in Cultus lake. Basically, the two 20' folding boats and four connecting load bearing girder unit. The wreckage is intact (but upsidedown) and remarkably well preserved though the bows and sterns of both boats are sprung and much of the ropework is rotted away. There are alphanumeric markings on the sides of the boats that I will try to make note of on my next dive. No photo's at the moment unfortunately as my camera flooded. In the general vicinity underwater I have also located a stack of 4-5 Bailey bridge panels.

I know that Cultus has been used for rafting/bridging exercises since aprox. 1942 and am in the process of contacting the local CFB Chilliwack Engineers Historical Society for archival information but thought I'd ask here as well. My overall plan is to investigate the surrounding area for more articles, try to trace the story of the sinking and then turn the exact location and any artifacts over to the local military historical society (if they want them).

I am looking for help with the following information:

1. Production and/or employment end dates for MkIII FBE's, to narrow the possible time of use down.

2. Any information on the loss of FBE's in Cultus lake.

Also, I found this tool on the lakebed near the wreckage and am curious what it was used for. My guess is that it was either a Bullpin to hold the loadbearing girders while connecting them or it was a pin that held the gunnels to the spreader frame. It is a steel pin with a brass handle 8 1/2" long in total. The top is slotted with a smaller dowel that I believe allowed it to be tethered to something.

Thanks all in advance for any help

Dale.

Last edited by Dale Carlisle; 20-05-11 at 02:31.