View Single Post
Old 08-01-13, 17:48

Interesting Dave, but according to BA Temple (1986) 'Identification Manual on the .303 British Service Cartridge No.1 Ball Ammunition' page 5:

'Contrary to popular belief that this compound core was intended to make the nose light so that on impact the base would try to overtake it and so cause the bullet to tumble, and thus make a more severe wound, it was actually designed to allow the weight of the bullet to be reduced without a corresponding reduction in length. Ballistically, the longer the bullet in relation to its diameter the better, but if the Mk.VII bullet had a solid core its weight would be about 196 grains, or not much less than the previous service bullet, so much of the benefit of the pointed shape would have been lost.'

The only time I ever experienced/observed bullet tumble firing .303 was Mk8Z rounds through a 'semi smooth bore' P14 (Rifle, No.3 MK.1) - much tooooo much velocity for the poor old, worn smooth barrel. By the time they were 50 yards away, they were off course and going sideways through a paper target, leaving a perfect boat-tailed bullet shaped profile. I kept the Mk8Z for my No.4 and No.4T rifles after that!

Mike C