Thread: Bad Gateway
View Single Post
Old 13-02-08, 23:41
Dog Robber

Southeastern US. Using AOL exclusively since the change.

One in five times maybe, I will get a "nobody home" response but I just back out and try again and have been successful 100% of the time.

All operations once I am in are very quick, unlike the earlier version when load times from getting on to moving around to getting posts accepted were very tedious indeed.

Perhaps of some interest, I have no exotic firewalls or such and basically allow all cookies etc. and clean the mutt using XoftSpy and a couple of other similar programs daily. I also use the standard Norton Anti Virus setup, nothing fancy.

For whatever it is worth, it has been my experience on a lot of forums that AOL is a problem, particularly on non US based forum providers. When it becomes impossible to get on consistently, I use Firefox as a backup which usually works. The AOL problem can be fixed, it just takes some sort of changes on the part of the provider as I understand it.

I am not sure if I am making sense here as I am a total computer klutz but I think a lot of these problems being reported here are "handshake" problems that should be able to be resolved if the various members can let Jif know what specific type of "setup" they have on their PCs. Sorry, I do not know the technical terms, but how do you access the net, what types of protection do you have, how have you set up accepting cookies, etc. etc.

Just some thoughts for today.

Bill