View Single Post
Old 23-11-11, 00:10

Jordan,

I understand your concern about the "4 letters or less" limit.

An example of this is searching to see if anything is posted about the unique brake system found only on the C60X (or for that matter the other oddity - the F60H). The 4 letter exclusion makes the combined search "c60x brake" behave the same way that a search on "brake" would. One way around this would be if we all agreed that we would always use c60-x instead of c60x when posting innformation, but this fails for anyone looking for information specific to the c8, f8, c8a or even c8-a.

In my ignorance of how the search function on this system works, I have guessed that the 4 letter limit may have been put in place to better define what we are seaching for by reducing the chances that the search phrase we enter might be included within other words. An example of this is searching on tan (as in paint, but without the word paint in the search) would get results for fuel tanks, ram tanks and tanks for electrolyitic de-rusting as well as the desired paint threads - and these are real topics that came to mind without thought.

I don't have any bright ideas as to the solution other than to think of as many terms as possible that might describe what you are looking for and try them all. Also be sure to check alternate spellings tire and tyre, color and colour, etc.