View Single Post
Old 15-02-17, 15:21

Hi, Bob.

To me, this is the most fascinating vehicle built by Canada during the war. That so few have survived (2?) in anything potentially close to original completeness, just adds to the intrigue.

Until finding the file of photos documenting the Rome survivor, the only photos, drawings or films I had ever seen were all ground level shots, with next to no useful upper deck detail.

The two aeroscreens on the Rome vehicle appear to be correct and mounted in the correct locations. Much of the upper hull detail from the sides, also matches in detail other photos I have seen. Film clips clearly show these vehicles were fast travelling on deep snow!

Keeping the weather out while keeping weight down, also plays into Bombardier's skill in designing the bigger cousin to the Armoured Snowmobile. It's body is plywood construction over steel frame, so the idea the wooden upper hull on the AS is original design, fits well. Bombardier were no strangers to the concept.

Would have been nice to have more paperwork on the Armoured Snowmobile to review, or photos taken in service showing better upper hull/top deck details. Personal knowledge from some of the guys who drove them would be a great help as well.

Guess we've pretty much hijacked Brian's thread now.

David