View Single Post
Old 13-06-08, 14:46
former Resident Historian

Default New thread

I have just started a new thread with info on wartime civvy Chevrolets which I shall update/improve in due course. The ERC minutes show that by late 1940/early 1941 some members were getting fractious about the surfeit of ambulances that were being donated, or hoisted on to the government departments. They understandably would have preferred chassis and chassis-cabs for essential user work but the US donations were of course hamstrung by the Neutrality Acts. Of course Fords also came over, donated by a host of people and organisations. Recipients of donated vehicles for ambulance, canteen, food drops, etc. included British Red Cross, British-American Ambulance Corps, St John Ambulance, Church Army, Salvation Army, Church of Scotland.

I would be interested to know who was responsible for NAAFI vehicles, as they received Dagenham-built civvy-registered Fordson vans for instance, as well as heavier chassis for mobile canteens. Then there were the Queens Messengers / Ministry of Food Guy Ants, Fordson 7V vehicles...it goes on! Something to be discussed again.

I would finish though by mentioning Red Cross vehicles. It seems that Polish RC Chevrolets, presumably funded in part by Americans, were registered as military vehicles in the Polish series. However, British RC ambulances that I know of had civvy regos but in some cases were driven by FANY drivers, and allocated to military bases.