Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 23-11-19, 00:03
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Installing clutch cross shaft bushings

Good Day,

Well, I finished my bushing guide tool on the lathe yesterday. My buddy is no longer wearing an Elizabethan collar so I could spend more time in the shed.

I was going to make it out of brass but then thought it was a bit of overkill so used a piece of 25mm nylon rod I had laying around.

Simple design: the pilot end has a section the same diameter as the inside of the bushing and a section the same diameter as the outside of the bushing. This ensures the bushing is pulled straight at all times. Two collars for the pulling end: one with the same diameter as the outside diameter of the bushing to install the first bushing, and one with same diameter as the inside diameter of the bushing to install the second bushing. Six mudguard washers and 4 nuts for the 3/8 UNC threaded rod finishes it off.

It worked a treat! A bit of 3 in One oil for lube and they pulled in nicely.

Not a lot of force on the spanners was required but I am convinced the solid bronze bushings would not just tap in without damage so I am glad I went to the extra trouble. No more shake, rattle, and roll on the cross shaft!

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0114.JPG   IMG_0123.JPG   IMG_0120.JPG   IMG_0121.JPG   IMG_0122.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 23-11-19 at 03:32.