Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 02:18
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- front spring clips

Good Day,

Another loose end crossed off from this past winter.

I decided to replace my front spring clips (U-bolts) with the ones from the parts truck. The main reason being the parts truck is an original F15-A but the restoration project started from what I believe to be bits cobbled together by previous owners so I am not sure if the clips are the originals. The other factor is I just prefer the look of the the full-nuts and half-nuts. There is a bit more thread engagement too, with the full-nut compared to a slotted-nut which can only be beneficial. It is not uncommon to have wastage on the threads near the cotter pins of the slotted-nut type clips.

The parts truck used full-nuts and jamming half-nuts to secure the clips to the front axle. The project truck used slotted-nuts and cotter pins. A friend who has a dozen trucks said about half his used slotted-nuts and half had the full-nut and half-nuts for securing the clips.

The two types of clips are show and differ in length by about 1/4"

Could not find a torque setting for the nuts in the Ford CMP Maintenance Manual but checking my GM CMP Maintenance Manual they gave 90 Ft lbs for those nuts. That is what I torqued them to and applied a bit of Locktite just to the half-nuts as added precaution against them coming off. They are not the kind of thing you find at the local nut and bolt supplier if they go missing.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0180 (2).JPG   IMG_0144.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 09-12-19 at 00:27. Reason: Tidied up a few things.