Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 03:06
VMVC

Default Ford CMP engine and cab mounting bolts (AKA The * strikes again)

Good Day All,

It is a cold, wet, self-isolation kinda day so I thought I would share some info I discovered recently. Perhaps many others know this but it may be of some help to someone else starting out.

I always thought the engine mounting bolts were the same size as the front cabin mounting bolts but I knew the rear cabin mounting bolt was a bit shorter.
I was doing a test fit on the right standard Ford engine mount and found the bolt was not long enough to allow the earth strap to attach to it and still engage the hole with the slotted nut (not castellated nut, they are different).
Pulling out a tin of salvaged mounting bolts I found four different versions of them as per attached photo. First two on left are engine bolts and last three are cab mounting bolts.

When all else fails read the Parts Manual. Sure enough, there are four different bolts used in these two locations. Three of them with the * unique to CMP vehicles in the list.

I have added the following notes and table I made up for my own reference:

Engine and cab mounting bolts:
Despite similar appearance there are 4 types of bolts. The rubber isolators however seem to be the same at all locations. See following:

Engine mounting bolt-right seems to be a standard Ford part. Engine- left is unique to CMP’s. Probably the extra length is to accommodate the engine earth strap under the nut. Believe Parts Manual got it wrong. Right side has the earth strap and needs a slightly longer bolt. The Drivers handbook also shows a longer bolt on the left side but has the strap on the right side! There is however a hole in the same relative location on the left engine crossmember for an earth strap so it could be placed there.
The shorter shoulder height is used on the engine as it goes through thinner gauge steel on the engine crossmember. The longer shoulder height on the cab mounting bolts is to accommodate the thicker cast steel support arms at the front and the doubler plate on the rear cab channel support bracket.

Hope this is of some interest.
Attached Thumbnails
bolts.JPG   earth strap.jpg   mounting bolt sizes.jpg  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 04-04-20 at 05:49.