View Single Post
Old 19-12-05, 15:43
carrier mech

Default Re: Since I work at the Wpg Sun ...

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Rob's probably right about the cops looking ahead to budget time, but unsafe storage is unsafe storage. Doesn't help.

With Mr. Dithers waving his arms and blathering about his total "ban" on handguns, things don't look good. Unless, of course the Libranos are voted out.
Deactivated firearms are not subject to safe storage, transportation, or liscencing regulations. This whole event is hype.

What I noticed missing in the story about the collection being siezed is that there is no mention as to the quantity of ammunition. One thing neccessary when you own full autos, and even semi-autos for that matter, is the food for them. They eat a lot. And the quantity of food makes good press as well, with quantities ranging from hundreds to thousands being the typical quantities being siezed from any firearms owner. Heck, .22 cal comes in packs of 500, and the police never differentiate during these events.
I buy my rounds by the 1000, it just makes economic sense. This missing piece of information makes me certain that there were no live guns there. They mention various rounds of ammunition. Sounds more like a collection of individual rounds to me, to which safe storeage regulations of the firearms act do not apply.

On any typical wed night at the gun club, I will shoot 2 boxes of 64 rounds of 9mm. Thats 128 rounds a week. Tell me how you are supposed to get by with any less than 1000s on hand. Especially when buying boxes of 50 rounds cost over 50% more than buying by the case of 1000.

Perry; what news source do you work for? If it's the Sun, I doubt we'll hear any follow up to this. Perhaps you could suggest a story questioning why the Winnipeg police department intentionally spreads fear to it's citizenry. This has been repeated several times in the past year or two, including when they siezed a SKS rifle, which is "only used for killing", or "discovered" T.G's collection, and were astounded by how many guns he had, when in fact he had everything registered, and even acted as an expert witness for the crown on occasion in relation to firearms.

As to Paul Martin's arm waving, same deal. During the debate, he talks about a 32 guns collection in TO being stolen, 12 of them later showing up in crimes, and 1 in a murder. I hear about way more stolen cars being used in crimes, and even resulting in deaths. There are half a million handguns in private hands in Canada.
And if they caught the guy who stole the guns in the break in, he would likely be out before the end of the day. If it's a juvenile, they would drop all charges if the youth would testify against the collector for unsafe storeage.
Why not make the penalty for stealing a gun the same as committing a serious crime. 5 years for stealing from someones house doesn't sound too harsh to me, considering the potential. Heck, I could even live with seeing the perp get 10.

We need crime control, not gun control. And spreading fear and panic amongst the general population can only be self serving for the police.