View Single Post
Old 27-08-19, 09:48
F60S

Default Thanks

Thanks Rick.
The Lynx looks almost exactly the same now as it did at Beltring in 1999.
It was kept in-doors and has not suffered at all (except for the loss of the Bren gun in a break in).
I am currently re-commissioning it starting with the fuel tanks. These had about two gallons of stale fuel each with the well known nasty smell. I have cleaned them and flushed them out and will shortly be replacing them. The fuel gauge senders do not work. However, there again, my experience of old cars is that the fuel gauge rarely works so I have made a calibrated stick in the time honoured manner.
The next precautionary job will be to similarly check the fuel lines, pump and carburettor.
The engine turns and all gears can be selected. The clutch pedal hydraulics seem to work.
The one job that promises to be major is that the brake pedal drops straight to the floor so it is possible that I may have to have all the cylinders off and check the seals. Mike told me that he had used silicon brake fluid. I know that in some quarters this has a bad reputation but I have used it successfully over a long period in vintage car restoration. Maybe there are different grades of seals. I will report on what I find.
The 19 set will be left until I run across someone who knows them and is willing to have a look.
One tiny job I have completed is to make keys to allow the hatches to be opened from the outside. These are not exciting enough to be worth posting a photograph.
Alastair
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*