View Single Post
Old 11-01-14, 16:14

Default Did you check the new thermostat by chance?

Hi Tony

Did you happen to test and exercise the new thermostat by chance before putting it in? If not probably will be OK. But I have found over the last 10 years that many NEW thermostats are very slow to open the first couple of heat cycles which on a freshly rebuilt engine can be problem it the temp comes up real quick. It is real annoying to blow water out of the radiator on the first start just because the thermostat stuck the first time, leaves you chasing a problem that by they maybe gone.

The other thing I have found that the first time they open they may actually not open until 20 degrees F past their stated value. After they have been cycled a couple of times they seem to settle down and work correctly.

I test/exercise them by putting pan of hot water and bring them up to the rated temp or until they open. Then take them out of the water and let them cool doing this a couple of times seems to do the trick. The ones I've done this too the difference on how much quicker they respond after a few cycles is very evident.

Of course when ever I put a bunch of thermostats in the pot, my wife asks what I'm fixing for lunch.

Cheers Phil

PS Know I've mentioned this before but every time I buy a thermostat it is slow to open the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
W Checking Thermostats 002.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com