Thread: Block Heaters
View Single Post
Old 03-01-18, 16:48

Default Heater Hose type

Hi David

I have one of those heater hose type heaters that have a one way flow check valve you connect it in line with the heater hose or some other convenient point in the cooling system. Then mount the heater as low as you can vertically. The unit heats the coolant and the thermosyphon draws the heat through the system.

I use one of these when I'm testing new engines to bring them up to temperature two torque the heads. Unit I have is relatively small 110v plugged in over night in 40F air temp in the shop it will take the engine up to 180F.

When I'm first starting a new engine with system on the test stand will take the engine through a couple of heat cycles to re-torque the head. Then when I'm ready to start the motor do the oil prime with the drill and pumping the oil into an already warm block warms the oil quite fast.

When used in a car in the winter it has the added advantage that you get heat out of the cars heater almost immediately.

With the weather we have been having may be looking for one to put on the plow truck.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com