View Single Post
Old 05-04-21, 12:26
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Thanks again Chris . Just to add to the discussion here are some pictures i found in a Canadian wartime manual : 1- Cover of said manual , 2-description of lead No 3 referenced as No 37 on the picture , No 3- picture of a substantial coil of lead cable for the antenna masts . The mystery deepens. Is that coil i estimate as being 25 or maybe 30 feet in length coaxial or single wire ? I dont know much but i don’t see why it would be coaxial the way it is coiled . In my mind it’s meant to feed a mast . I don’t see why the user had to setup his mast just 6 feet from the No 19 with a No 5 lead when dug in a deep trench with overhead cover and revetting . So if my assumption is right , you could use a mast aerial remotely meaning more than 6 feet away.
Hi Robert, I have that manual.

Lead, Aerial No.3 was renamed Connector, Co-axial No.11A and is the long one for the 'B' set to Aerial Base No.9 or 9A. You get two of them in the Truck & Ground station kit - one is permanently fitted in the truck to connect the set to the aerial base on the roof, the other is stowed for use when the set is removed from the vehicle for use on the ground. (That's item 35 on the layout of the kit.)

Item 37 is the Lead, Aerial, No.5 (later renamed Connector, Single No.7C) and is 6 feet of 7mm diameter insulated wire.

I will have a rummage in my mast kit later and see if I can find the No.5 (or 7C) cable, but it is fairly short (to avoid transmission losses).

Best regards,
Chris.