Thread: Heads Up: Sherman for sale
View Single Post
Old 06-05-15, 05:17
GM Fox I

Don Smith had a long on again/off again relationship with DND. Several of the carriers currently in the Borden museum are his (he insisted), but that fact was forgotten when the curator passed away. There was some connection between the carriers and the Sherman that had not been satisfactorily sorted out but the details I'm sure are lost to history. In any other matter the 'statute of limitations' should apply as Don and his successors have had possession of CAROL for over 50 years. For $300,000 I'd be doing my due diligence though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I had a discussion with someone else on this tank a day or so ago, and the question of ownership came up. Is this tank free and clear of the DND? If out of Canadian service and passed on to a museum or town/city back in the 70s, then they were generally just loans, and not sales. My understanding is there is a register of these tanks with their last known location in DND, and title of these items still lies with the government.

I would hate to see someone shell out that kind of coin just to end up having to fight with the federal government to retain ownership. Does anyone know how Don Smith came to possess it?