View Single Post
Old 22-01-05, 21:30
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default So, Comrade, you would like a T-34?

The Sunday papers have just come out and have this little column filler:

"SOVIET TANKS FOR SALE
Moscow
Russia is selling thousands of World War II tanks, machine guns and cannons to raise funds and to remind the world of it's key role in defeating Hitler.
The Kremlin hopes the items will be bought by museums and enthusiasts as interest in vintage weaponry peaks during the 60th anniversary of the end of the war.
Russia's state arms dealer has sold a few vintage weapons piecemeal since the late 1990's but has now launched a serious sales campaign."

Has anyone else heard of this and know what is available? I wonder if it is only Russian made equipment or also includes Lend-Lease stuff, too. I always imagined that the thousands of L-L trucks would have spent the rest of their days being worked into the ground on some state owned co-operative farm, but perhaps there still thousands in wharehouses! We have seen lots of nice ex-NATO reserve vehicles come out of France, Norway and other places recently, but much of that was US built. Could this be the golden opportunity to find a C60X, C8AX, Valentine, Sherman, Studebaker US6 (with Katyushka rockets), Bren Carrier or any other of the multitude of relatively rare Lend lease stuff that went to USSR? And spares too? I wouldn't mind a GPA amphib in the crate!