View Single Post
Old 06-10-20, 22:20

Even though I haven't read the actual war diaries yet, I did buy and read some books on the battle of Broekhuizen, where the Westminster Dragoons were active.

"Slag in de Schaduw" by A. Korthals Altes actually writes that one crab got desperately stuck in the mud during the attack on Broekhuizen castle and was moved to the Overloon war museum shortly after the war.

"De Bevrijding van de Gemeente Broekhuizen
" by P.W.L Weijs has a detailed account of the battle of Broekhuizen castle and Broekhuizen village. It mentions that after the battle 2 crabs were left behind, presumably (the?) 1 that got desperately stuck in the mud and one that was put out of action by a Panzerfaust.....the tank commanded by "William Hall", mentioned earlier.

"The story of Westminster Dragoons" sadly doesn't have too much detailed info on the battle in Broekhuizen, but I have to read the rest to see if it includes any info on census numbers and nicknames of tanks.

I have also contacted the local archive of Broekhuizen and the historical society for info....you would think that pictures would exist of the tanks that were left behind....or maybe a written account of one being picked up for a use as a monument in a museum....but sadly they couldn't help out. They did know what I was talking about and knew about the "lost" identity of the Overloon crab.

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 06-10-20 at 22:31.