View Single Post
Old 02-11-20, 22:48

Default Precious info in one place.....

Thanks Charles for the clear distinction of the round versus flat gauges.

I have a 1940 Chev 1 ton with the rectangular gauge cluster ..... and Philippe J. has a 1939 Chev one ton with round gauges..... ........ not sure if his instrument cluster is on a flat panel or a curved dash.

Philippe can you shed some light.

According to what I have read Major B. had access to 38 or 39 seperate vehicles some unsold from dealers some from GM...... From the pictures I have seen of the early handmade conversions, the curved windshield was cut at about 8 inches and the remaining post used to mount various machine guns........ I assumed that the good Major converted some flat dash models and some curved dash models to suit is needs.....and some were short wheel based of possible 3/4 ton ratings......

However, I think it is safe to assume that all Windsor LRDG produced had the flat dash/cowl with the square windshield frame......... I have never seen a factory picture of the Canadian Made LRDG with a factory made water condensation can. By the way GM did sell, at the dealership, a skinny water condensation can, grey in color, to be mounted on the firewall under the hood....may have started in the late 1937 era. They do come up on Ebay at nearly $400 when NOS.......

Have you seen the article in a EU magazine, about 5 years ago, about the trial and tribulation of a French collector who built an early LRDG from parts of 3 or 4 other Chevs of the period.....? very worth while reading.....

Cheers

Water was such a rare commodity that the true LRDG troops never shaved (or washed ) and dressed very differently for the occasion....unless back in Cairo where proper military dress and clean face was the "rigueur".......
Canada