View Single Post
Old 13-12-22, 10:46
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Instrument cluster fascia, refurbish

Good Day,

With a few rainy days at hand, I thought I would tidy up another thing lying around the back room.

I tried to paint red stripes with a paint pen, but I was unable to get consistent 1/16" wide stripes spaced 1/4" apart even with using a guide.

I thought of another workaround, and having made decals before, made up some red stripes on laser decal paper using my colour laser printer. I was able to keep the artwork to very tight tolerances by that method.

I practiced on my sample fascia first (the one I wasted hours on before) and was satisfied I could do a reasonable job.

The results are shown. The paint pen jig which in the end I did not use came in handy, nonetheless. I printed the line spacing full size, laminated it previously so paint or decal liquids would not damage it, and positioned it precisely under the fascia as a guide for the decal placement.

The decals were put on as normal with decal setting solution to pull down the decal tightly onto the surface below. No edges show and this gives the appearance of it being inked or painted on as per original.

Next warm day a coat of satin clear acrylic to seal them in and it is all finished.

Hope this is of some interest.

Added before photo. Many thanks again Euan. I eventually get a "round tuit"!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0118.JPG   IMG_0116.JPG   IMG_0100.JPG   IMG_0066.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 14-12-22 at 00:38. Reason: Added before photo