Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 27-09-16, 14:34

Finally after many weeks of trial and error I managed to successfully teach myself the art of steam bending oak. I want to try and make the hip ring spacer as close to the originals as possible. I ended up making it from 4 pieces of 1/4" thick strips laminated together. What a learning curve but Im glad I stuck with it.

For my steaming power I used my 1943 2 gallon petrol burner unit, 20lbs empty propane tank (full of water), some black pipe and a steam box made from 4" PVC pipe with end caps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer06.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	85387

The form was made up for the 24" inside diameter of the ring. This let me clamp and glue the wood strips as I built it up to the proper thickness.

Name:	spacer05.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	85388

Name:	spacer04.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	85389

Here I have successfully curved and laminated two of the strips together. The ring is very strong and fit the hip ring very well.

Name:	spacer02.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	85390

Lastly I cut the taper on the ring to fit the slope of the roof.

Name:	spacer01.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	85391

Now it is just drilling all 16 holes and figuring out the lengths of all countersunk screws. I am extremely pleased about how well it ended up working. My plan is to paint on a few coats of POR letting it soak into the wood. This should seal the wood for life.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer