View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 22:17
Vets Dottir 2nd

Ah ... sad news I discovered today. I've been offline for a long time so didn't see this obituary until now. It's Albert (Abbie) Cook. He remembered Uncle Eddie but I wasn't able to visit Abbie and Lucille when I was back there, although I had talked with Lucille on the phone some time ago. Abbie could not talk because of strokes so she talked with me and talked with him, and relayed messages.

Abbie gave some witness reports about the missing (executed) soldiers in Normandy. I have copies of his comments in Uncle Ed's records. I'm really sad to know he's passed on.

Here is a copy of Abbie's obituary as written up in the Wpg Free Press passages (Rest in Peace now Abbie and thank you for everything.)

Quote:
ALBERT (ABBIE) E. COOK (COOKIE) It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Abbie on June 3, 2007, with his entire family by his side. Abbie is survived by his wife of 57 years, Lucille; children, Buddy (Dawn), Linda (David), Patty (Manfred), Janie, and Marlene (Russell); grandchildren, Jimmy, Nikki, Megan, Brian, Lana, Jessica, Jordan, Shannon, Shane, Mandy, Ryan, Keri, Kyle, Justin, Chad, and Janelle; 13 great-grandchildren; brother Wilfred; sister May, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his son Jimmy; son-in-law Jerry; sister Marion, and brothers, Percy and Gordon. Abbie was born on January 28, 1920 and raised in Hogdson, Manitoba. He served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles and was badly wounded in The Battle of Normandy. Abbie was recently awarded the chevalier de la Legion d'honneur, the highest national order given out by the French Government. Cookie, as he was fondly known, had an immense love for music that transcended all boundaries as Abbie composed and played for several years traveling to several senior homes receiving and giving great joy and happiness. Abbie was not one to sit idle, serving as past president of Selkirk Friendship Centre aiding in many charity drives, always ready to lend a hand. He loved to tinker endless hours in his garage. His love for his family was crystal clear and he took great joy in seeing his many children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren; we will miss you, and take solace in the fact we can reminisce on how you touched our lives. The family would like to thank the staff of the 4th Floor Tower, Deer Lodge Hospital for their kindness and care. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, June 6 at 2:00 p.m. in the Gilbart Funeral Chapel, Selkirk with the Ven. Godfrey Mawejje officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Siloam Mission, 300 Princess St., Winnipeg, MB R3B 9Z9. Gilbart Funeral Home, Selkirk in care of arrangements.
Carman
Attached Files
File Type: doc albert abbie cook rwr.doc (44.5 KB, 52 views)