View Single Post
Old 27-12-22, 19:58

Default Tracked truck records

My book on Local Pattern Carrier published in the early 1990s which included the Tracked Truck is not, as Tony pointed out in Post 51, error free. My notes taken while studying AWM126 at the AWM in the early 1990s clearly missed recording that a second TT went to the UK, for example. If I ever revisit the topic, I could certainly add much more to the text, that's for sure. (It's so easy these days to just go on-line and study AWM126, so thank you AWM RC for putting the time and effort into scanning those volumes)

However, I think I need to correct Tony about his assumption that "...The Australian Tracked Trucks were fitted with 239ci, 95hp 1942 mercury engines of the same type fitted to the CMP (C29QF 6097 A). These had an engine number in the form of 3GxxxxF. Some Australian CMPs, notably F15A's, had US sourced Mercury engines with numbers in the range 99TF56xxxx. Ford Australia only created new engine numbers for full factory reconditioned engines, and these numbers were in the form AV1Rxxxx, AV2Rxxxx, etc."

Some applications that used Ford V8 engines had variations to the engine/gearbox number systems indicated by Tony. A small number of MG Carriers with 'A19UC' prefixed engine numbers are an example. So I don't think it can be assumed that the numbers recorded in AWM126 are not an engine number assigned by Marbutt Engineering because they don't fit the 'norm'. Maybe they are both an engine and chassis number? We will doubtless know a little more once the chassis of the TT currently undergoing restoration in Melbourne is sandblasted. Looking forward to what that may, or may not, reveal.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 27-12-22 at 20:19.