View Single Post
Old 08-04-12, 01:10
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Sodium carbonate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi All

What do these two products have in common?

They both remove paint and strangely the one on the right seems to actually work better, is cheaper, environmentally more friendly. Washing soda has come up over the years many times on MLU for various reasons such as Restoration Tip: Electrolysis Derusting, degreaser etc.

Well it was in the process of using it as a degreaser that its paint removing characteristics came out. Like with any degreaser they work better if the the part, grease and liquid are hot. So one day I throw bunch of grease small parts into an old electric fry pan with 1/2 cup of washing soda and gallon of water and left the whole thing to simmer for awhile while I did something else. The parts had a thick layer of grease on top of many layers of paint. When I pulled a part out of the simmering stew and when at it with a small wire brush not only did the grease come off but the paint as well.

The pictures below show parts simmering, what they look like as removed and after a few minutes with a wire brush.

Then spraying the parts with a good water based degreaser and washing the parts with hot water leaves them ready to paint.

Tomorrow I'm going to try hitting them with hot water pressure spray see if that will clean small parts which are hard to wire brush.

If that works got to find a bigger boiling tank.

As to the Aircraft Coating Remover, found that this tends to only remove one layer of paint at a time.

Comments and suggestions please.

Cheers Phil
Phil..
I use that for oven cleaner also..The ingredient that is doing all the heavy lifting is sodium carbonate...sodium BI-carbonate will make you burp and will clean battery terminals but the sodium carbonate is the big lifter in Grandmas washing soda..