View Single Post
Old 23-05-12, 16:30

Default Gas Tank Clearance

Hi All

New Topic for a moment, with several HUP restorations going on around the world at this time. Thought I would mention a fitting problem related to the gas tank and the running boards, possible rub or wear problem.

The HUP family of vehicles like other CMPs mounts the gas tank on supports coming down and out from the frame. Originally there was a tar coated strip of fabric that went around the tanks to protect the tanks from wear from the support and the hold down straps. With the HUP family of vehicles the tank supports extend out to also support the running boards, that's the rub.

While finishing up on fitting the fenders and side tank protection plates I happened to notice that the under side of the gas tank was just in contact with the edge of the diamond plate running boards. All that was touching was the high points of the ribs on the diamond pattern. Fix is easy increase the amount of strap padding on the bottom of the tanks.

The contact was not great had not even scratched the paint on the tank but movement on the road my have caused problems. I mentioned this as once the side plates are bolted in place you can not even see the contact area.

I'll post pictures later today.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com