Thread: Cfr 70-08889
View Single Post
Old 04-12-13, 15:17
carrier mech

The GPMG mount was only for the militia light recce. They were not for regular force units, and within the militia unit they were not really meant for the OC of HQ. The particular militia unit I was with had 15 or 20 M38A1 with the GPMG mounts and wire cutters for the fighting troops, and 3 M151A2s with only IKEEs for the officers.

As well, with the high VOR rates of militia jeeps back then, it was not common for them to have call signs painted on them (still isn't today) because they were generally applied in chalk at the beginning of an ex, when you knew how many jeeps you had and how many troopers showed up.

For that matter, it is rare to see callsigns on any militia vehicle. That is how you can tell a convoy of militia LSVWs and MLVWs from a convoy of regular force trucks....call signs and radio antenna.

When I was in Gagetown back in 1980 I think I did see a M151A2 with a GPMG mount in Cougar support squadron. Made no sense since the mount should not have been in a regular force unit, nor should it have been mounted on a M151A2.