Thread: Info needed: Water temperature sending unit
View Single Post
Old 30-11-17, 01:02
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlé Sylvain View Post
Hello
Does someone know a modern replacement for the flathead ford temperature sending unit,( the original one is a bit expensive, mostly after shipping and taxes to france).Also I have only one side hole on the cylinder head on my flathead.

I use a 6v dash with a 12v reducer. I heard about ford truck units of the 70th?

Cheers
Hello Harle,

Your question is interesting for all us owners of old Ford Flathead V8 powered vehicles.
We have the same problem in Australia- cheap parts in the US cost a small fortune here with shipping and exchange rates. As an example: I just bought 8 gun screws from the US. Cost was only $3.50 but it was $11.40 for postage.

It got me interested and I found this thread on the HAMB which might be of interest as others have tried to find a cheaper or more readily available temperature sending unit for the old Ford engines.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...gauges.925581/

Upon reading it I am of the belief that it may cost a bit more, but one from a reputable supplier of old Ford parts is the best option. Even better would be a NOS unit if one can be located.

They are very robust units and it is worth testing it in hot water before condemning it to the scrap bin and searching for a new one. Just because it is old and may be rough looking it might still be functional.

Of interest: Pre 1949 engines had only one sending unit. Later 8BA engines used two. The second one was just an overheat bi-metallic switch that pegged the temperature gauge fully to hot when the contacts closed. It is distinguishable by two terminals on the sender. It is just an "idiot light" arrangement for the bank of cylinders that didn't have a resistance type sending unit to show the temperature.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed