View Single Post
Old 16-10-17, 22:53
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
An old ish thread I know... but seemed the best place to put this...

Thought you might be interested to see this Tannoy variation on the Microphone, Respirator No 1 I got recently.

Unsure when these were introduced (I assume WW2) and quite when used... have never seen one before, or photos or documentation about them (but perhaps I've not lifted the right rock yet).

If anyone has any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Microphone, Respirators, Power, No. 1, YA 2816:
Aha! That's got the 3-pin socket fitted, so is most likely for the Apparatus (or Telephone) Loudspeaking sets used by the artillery. It would also fit the ECC (Emergency Crew Communication) box fitted to tanks, but I'm not sure if they were issued with it - I suspect they would have been, later on, but it's tank intercom and not really part of the radio kit. (It might also require the commander to have two gasmasks, one with each microphone type, if he needed to use both systems on a regular basis, and I suspect the ECC procedure would be more like "take a very deep breath, lift mask, bellow into standard Tannoy mike, and replace mask" in the event of a gas attack combined with intercom failure.)

The Artillery would need the kit for prolonged use in case of gas attack, so it's most likely intended for use with the telephones L.S. and similar kit.

Either way, it's a very nice find, and the only one I've ever seen.

Chris.