View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 13:08

AE684 / EG-B

In official reports the crash location is given as "Leidsevaart, Bennebroek", but eye witness accounts from Bennebroek give a more detailed location. The frontmost section of the plane crashed into a farmers field which was known as "Lage duin" in those days. Nowadays this is a residential area. (first picture)
One of the engines dropped through the roof of the local Butcher shop. The roof was fixed and the butcher shop was still in business in the 60's. Today the building has been replaced by a modern house (second picture)

As mentioned above the tail section dropped down close to the ditch, separating the houses from the "Reek" and the villa "Huis te Bennebroek". I tried working out the exact location and think it might have been behind "Reek 18" or maybe a bit further towards the Ringvaart.
My grandpa lived at Reek 10 at the time! Sadly I never had a chance to ask him if he remembers the bombers.
"Huis te Bennebroek" has been replaced by a big retirement home in the meantime.

The Dutch Airwar Study group has a record for Ventura AE684
https://www.verliesregister.studiegr...rea=&airfield=

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_2914.JPG   2-IMG_2910.JPG   3-IMG_2909.JPG   5-IMG_3774.JPG   4-IMG_2907.JPG  

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 05-01-19 at 13:23.