View Single Post
Old 14-04-21, 04:13

Hi, Bob.

The channels were originally supposed to have a 1" rounded edge on the length as in some of the photos I had, but the sheet metal bender couldn't do it for some reason.
I told them to just leave the edges flat, bent 90 degrees down from the 35 degree bend, and I would do the finishing work. That extra sheet metal was 2" wide on each side. Not wanting to impose on my friend who had done me a big favor already, I took the pieces to a local bender. They took the 2" edge, and folded it back onto itself to make a 1" double-thickness edge along the channel's length. This made them way more rigid. I didn't have to weld anything on.

I keep looking at these drawings, and can't see how someone could reproduce these from what I have presented, so I am going to measure what I have here, and add to it..

The added 3/4 x 3/16" strap used were drilled, tapped and installed using 1/4-20 button-head allen screws, with the heads filled to look like rivets, (34 of them per channel)....my forearms looked like Popeye's after drilling and tapping 68 holes that day!

Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
SAND CHANNEL   BENT - MOD 2.jpg  

Last edited by David DeWeese; 14-04-21 at 06:15. Reason: added photo